- a half back who puts the ball into the scrum and stands ready to receive it again.
That’s the dictionary definition, however for me it should be rewritten…
A half back who not only puts the ball into the scrum and stands ready to receive it, but also has …
- A pass with speed and precision
- An excellent kicking game,
- Good decision making under pressure
- Split second timing to make the right type of pass work
- Provide his or her team with positive outcomes
- High levels of fitness
- Able to rattle the opposition
- Be the ref’s best friend
- Probably have the largest mouth on (and off) the pitch (see XX)
Faf De Klerk ticks every box and more.
That’s why I’m delighted to see De Klerk signing a new contract keeping him at Sale until 2023 and fit for a storming World Cup run in Japan. Faf does the simple things superbly, and the superb moves simply. Rugby is, and always will be, a team game with players pulling together…however Faf is one of those players who can lift a team by himself and turn a game on its head with his sparkling form. Certainly one to watch in Japan.